Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Shelter Dogs Need Rescue

These are a few of my favorite dogs at the North Central Animal Shelter right now. Since they are all pits or variations of pit they are all at serious risk of euthanasia.

DeeDee (impound # A92434) is a 13 year old owner surrendered pit/bulldog mix. She is a sweet girl who wags and prances happily at the front of the cage if she thinks you will stop and give her attention - which most visitors don't because she is a little worn around the edges and older. She gets overlooked, walked right by - her soulful plea for a little human affection ignored.



Go see her and give her a chance at a warm home to live out the rest of her life.


Lala (impound # A922129) is another beautiful girl at North Central. She's a 3 year old pit who I have befriended over the last month. When she first came into the shelter she was so scared she hid in the back of the cage shaking. I coaxed her out with treats and was able to gently touch her - her fur is amazingly soft. Each time I visited her I was able to touch her more and more and now she sits down so I can scratch her neck and head.


Mary (impound # A918070) is a scared 3 year old who hides in the back of the kennel. There are days when she will come out for a treat but more often she will cower in the back portion of the run - peering out with a worried look on her face. I can only imagine what has made her so scared of people. I do think though that with love and positive attention, Mary will come out of her shell and learn to trust again.



















These girls are all at the North Central Shelter: 3201 Lacy Street, Los Angeles, CA 90031
888-4LAPET1 or 888-452-7381, FAX 213-847-0555

HOURS OF PUBLIC OPERATION:
Monday (Closed)
Tuesday (8AM - 7PM)
Wednesday (8AM - 5PM)
Thursday (8AM - 7PM)
Friday (8AM - 5PM)
Saturday (8AM - 5PM)
Sunday (11AM - 5PM)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to help. As a student currently living with my parents, I am not able to adopt any pets at all :(. But, what can I do to help? I reside in the Inland Empire. Could I contact rescues or ? Please advise me. I hope to be able to drive down to the shelter there to visit them soon !